Friday 1 July 2011

Rabanal - Riego de Ambros - Ponferrada

There was no internet last night so I have to catch up 2 days.
The walk from Rabanal del Camino to Riego de Ambros was fantastic. It was up all the way until the highest point on the Camino. Just before reaching the highest point (1515m) one reaches the Cruz de Ferro. One is supposed to bring a stone from your home country and place it at the base. Well, I didn´t have one, so I just deposited a South African coin instead.

The walk in the mountains was amazing. The paths are like those in the berg, but the scenery is just stupendous. Last night at dinner I met 2 other South Africans, both of them being of German origin, but now living in SA. Funnily enough they were both called Wolfgang, but one lives in Cape Town (Constantia) and the other in Pretoria.

The walk today from Riego de Ambros to Ponferrada was downhill all the way through the mountains.

I have just booked in at the alberge and am now going to go and get some lunch, after which I will visit the Knight Templar´s castle, and other sights. There is going to be a festival here tonight, but we have to be safely tucked up in our beds by 22:30 :-)

I am doing well and feeling very healthy. My shorts are actually starting to fall down as I walk, so I am taking that as a good sign. I can also feel that my spare tyre around my waist has gone down a bit.

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stew

    I am glad that you are well and losing weight :-) hope you will lose a little more by the end of your journey.

    We are all fine at home - told you that Pat came down for the July - short visit but at least got to see her - can't remember when last I saw her!
    Max is well sitting here in the sun. It is such a lovely day today - hot in the sun and cold in the shade.

    Chatted to Joscelyn yestered was checking exactly when and what time Claire was coming down and then realised that Andrew will be coming back the weekend before and not the same weekend as Clarie - that was the old arrangement before he realised that DUT starts on the 11th - silly me!!! Anyway we were chatting about you and she was saying that she and a few others are interested in doing the Camino - and said that perhaps this is what you can do in your retirement - organise and take groups of people over! Something for you to think about - serious! You can "pick up" on this conversation with Jos when you get back.

    With having to be home when the maid is not here, I have not had the chance to go and see your mum. I must say it has been a little difficult as I have to be at the office and when I get home the maid has to leave and then the weekend there is no one else here and not comfortable leaving the house unattended! So her books are here - I will see maybe Pat can run the books over to her quickly on Sunday morning.

    It was quite funny reading about you leaving SA money behind instead of a stone - hope this helps the economy here :-)

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your walk and make the best of it!!!

    love and missing you

    maya, max, pushkins, kitty.........

    ReplyDelete