Wednesday 13 July 2011

Santiago

Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

Well - my camino has now officially finished.
This morning I walked the final 4kms into Santiago, went to the Pilgrim office and received my Compostella, then went to the cathedral for the Pilgrim mass, and hugged the statue of St. James.

I was hoping to be able to post a photo here, but this internet cafe doesn´t seem to allow that.

I am staying in a very nice place tonight. It is called Seminario Mejor. It is an old seminary that has been turned into a hotel. It is about 25m from one of the cathedral entrances. The cost is only €23 per night and includes breakfast. The breakfast looked really good this morning. Not bad at all.

Tomorrow I am going to take the bus to Finisterre and stay there the night.
I will return to Santiago on Friday, stay the night at the same hotel, then catch the train out on Saturday night.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my family and friends who gave me the necessary encouragement to complete this camino. It has been a long walk, but a job well done.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Dad. Sounds like you had a lot of fun on the way. Love Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Stew well done! You are amazing and as Bruce said - it sounds like you really had a lot of fun on your journey and all the lovely people you met on the way.....

    Hope you got lots of photos..... well take it easy now and relax and enjoy that last few days. Please don't forget my almond cake - Kathy said that not far from the centre of Santiago there is the closed nunnery - you can ask someone. She said that you can find almond cake everywhere in Santiago - almost every shop sells this but I am assuming that the nunnery cakes is not mass produced - I could be wrong!

    take care and looking forward to first having all the family over on the weekend for Andrew's birthday and then you arriving home on Monday.
    Countdown begins....

    love and miss you

    maya

    ReplyDelete