Saturday 16 July 2011

Finisterre

At the pilgrim mass on Wednesday I met 2 Japanese ladies I had seen and walked with a few times on the Camino. They are Naoka and Rika, both of whom now live in Canada. They had also decided to go to Finisterre the following day, so we arranged to travel down together.
On Thursday morning we caught the bus to Finisterre, a journey of 3 hours.
The coastline to Finisterre is absolutely beautiful, just like the west coast of Scotland around Fort William.
I identified a lovely resort called San Francisco as a place where I would like to go and live when I retire.

When we arrived in Finsiterre we were welcomed by people offering accomodation.
I had a lovely room to myself in a house for €15.
It was the first decent sleep I have had for ages.

Naoka met some friends she had met along the way and we all went for some lunch.
While we were there I met Ian, an English guy I had met on the very first day from St Jean to Rocevalles.
It was so good meeting up with him, and so we were able to chat about our caminos.

We all decided to go up to the lighthouse for sunset. We took a bottle of wine and some goodies to eat, but the weather wasn´t going to co-operate and the clouds started to roll in off the Atlantic.
We still drank the wine though :-)

Yesterday morning we returned to Santiago. This time the bus took 3,5hours to return.
Once back in santiago I met up with a young Korean girl whom I had met early on in the camino.
She was so excited to see me and gave me a big hug.

I am now walking around Santiago killing time until my train leaves tonight for Mdrid.
This time tomorrow I will be boarding my plane back to South Africa.

Happy birthday Andrew :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment